I’m excited to be bringing back the MEAL PREP blog posts. These posts will give you a little more insight into my meal preps, from the groceries, to cooking, and then finally packaging them up.
Check out this weeks simple and delicious meal prep!
For access to the full post, check out my Exclusive Members Blog.
Groceries (Click HERE for the entire list of groceries)
– Chicken Breasts ($18.56)
– 2 Packages Strawberries ($7.98)
– Blueberries ($3.99)
– Jalapeno Pepper ($0.25)
– Chicken Broth ($1.49)
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe (Click HERE for my modified recipe)
Original recipe I found online http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/amazing-chicken-tortilla-soup-108231
(I scaled up the original recipe and made almost double the amount becuase I wanted to be sure I had enough for the week.)
– 3-4 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 – 1 1/2 Medium Onion
– 1/2 – 1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic (Forgot to add this)
For this meal prep I used my brand new Cosori multi-cooker. It’s amazing, so simple to use and reduces the need for additional pots and pans, makes clean much easier and quicker. I will create additional videos with the cooker but lets just get into the recipe.
If you don’t have multi-cooker like the one I’m using, it’s not a problem, you can still make this recipe. You will need a cooking skillet and a slow-cooker instead though. Thinking about it, you could probably also use a large cooking pot as well if you wanted… decisions, decisions.
1. Prep the chicken breasts, meaning, trim off any excess fat or skin you can see.
2. After the chicken is trimmed, move it over to a baking dish/pan.
3. Then add some simple seasoning, I just went with salt & pepper. (You can add any additional seasoning you would like.
4. Bake the chicken at … (Click Here for additional cooking instructions)
To view the entire post and meal prep, check out my Exclusive Members Blog.
Start your day off right with this quick and simple breakfast! Whether you’re trying to lose weight or gain muscle a healthy breakfast is extremely important.
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- Spray Butter
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Mini Wholly Guacamole
- Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
- Place cooking pan on the stove and set it to a medium high heat.
- Spray cooking pan evenly with Coconut Oil cooking spray.
- After about 5 minutes, once the pan is hot, crack 2 eggs in pan.
- Add desired amount of pepper.
- Cook eggs for 2 minutes, then flip.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove eggs from stove and place on a plate.
- With the stove still on and hot, add 1 tbsp. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to pan.
- Add a few sprays of butter to one side of the bread.
- Place the bread butter side down on the pan. (Bread should soak up all the Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- After 30 – 45 seconds flip.
- Add desired amount of Garlic Salt and flip again.
- Cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Remove bread from the stove and place under the eggs.
- Spread the container of Wholly Guacamole evenly over eggs.
- Pair this with a tangerine and that’s it!
Total Calories: 490
Have a breakfast recipe you make or really enjoy? Please leave a comment below and I would love to check it out. Always looking for new healthy recipes. Now be sure to go check out the Water Jug Fitness YouTube Channel for more healthy recipes. Also, go follow WaterJugFitness on Instagram and Twitter for daily fitness tips.
Do you often find yourself snacking on chips, candy or other unhealthy treats throughout your day? I’ve been there, it’s easy to fall into this trap. What if I told you I have a delicious homemade protein bar to curb your cravings? These bars are so good you’re not going to believe they can be healthy for you. This recipe will have all of your friends, family, and in my case coworkers asking for more. Another great thing about this recipe is it only requires 4 products you can get from almost any grocery store and no baking required. I hope you’re as excited to try these as I am to share them!
- 34 oz. Mixed Nuts
- 1/2 Cup PB2 (Powdered Peanut Butter)
- 5 oz. Reduced Sugar Craisins
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- In a large mixing bowl combine the mixed nuts, PB2, craisins and honey.
- With a spatula, mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Cover a baking pan with wax paper.
- Pour mixed ingredients onto the baking pan.
- With a spatula, spread and press the ingredients evenly.
- Place the baking pan in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove the baking pan from freezer, cut and enjoy.
It’s important to store these protein bars in the freezer until you’re ready to eat them. If you leave them out or store them in the refrigerator they will not hold together and become extremely messy. I had to learn this hard way.
Do you make your own protein bars or have a protein bar recipe you really like? Please leave a comment below and I would love to check it out. Always looking for new healthy recipes. Now be sure to go check out the Water Jug Fitness YouTube Channel for more healthy recipes. Also, go follow WaterJugFitness on Instagram and Twitter for daily fitness tips.
What’s a cheat meal?
How often should I eat cheat meals?
Should I schedule cheat meals into my routine?
These questions are very typical when it comes to cheat meals. Odds are you have read or heard many different opinions around the best approach. It can be overwhelming, I know, I’ve been there. So first and foremost, what is a cheat meal? To put it simply, cheat meals generally contain little to no nutritional value and contain large amounts of excess sugar, carbs, and fats. You could also call this junk food. Still not quite sure about what qualifies as a cheat?
Common Cheat Foods
- Ice Cream
Hopefully your starting to get the picture.
When To Eat Cheat Meals
Now that you know what is considered a cheat meal or cheat food lets talk about when to eat them. Cheat meals, if used properly can be extremely beneficial for meeting your fitness goals. So you’re telling me, I can eat cheat meals and still get fit? You got it! It’s important to understand though if your not eating clean healthy foods on a regular basis, 80 – 90% of the time cheat meals will not be beneficial. The reason cheat meals are beneficial for those who eat clean 80 – 90% of the time is because our bodies produce a protein called Leptin. Leptin is produced by fat tissue and aids in regulating appetite and energy. After 72 hours, your body’s Leptin levels will drop significantly causing your metabolism and fat burning capabilities slow. So go ahead and eat that cheat meal because once you do your Leptin levels will return to normal and you can get back to burning fat. Typically, my cheat meals fall on a Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday. I will generally have 2 to 3 cheat meals a week but that’s just me.
Balance Is Key
You now know about cheat meals and when to eat them. The last point I want to talk about is maintaining balance between cheat meals and clean eating. As I said previously, if you aren’t eating clean 80 – 90% of the time cheat meals will not be beneficial for you in regards to reaching your fitness goals. The key is to start slow and work your way up to consistently eating clean on a regular basis. Many of the people who don’t stick with it try to go 100% clean eating and once they don’t see any results after the first week they quit. Well the sad fact is one week of healthy eating and exercise won’t make up for years of bad eating habits. You have to remember you didn’t get the way you are in one week so why do you expect to lose it all in one week. Sorry folks, it’s not going to happen. Give it time, stay consistent, and eat healthy foods. Results will come!
From all the articles and videos I’ve watched one thing stands out, one healthy meal won’t make you skinny just as one unhealthy meal won’t make you fat. It’s all about consistency; eat healthy, train hard, and have a cheat meal when you need it.