These are the best Healthy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls I’ve ever personally had! I Came across this recipe a few months ago, put my own twist on it, and has become a go-to meal for me! As mentioned, I have changed the original recipe up a little to better fit my personal health and fitness goals. I also simplified it a little and swapped some ingredients allowing me to reduce time in the kitchen as well as my grocery bill.
Watch the Full Meal Prep Video!
Meal Breakdown and Nutrition
Quick note: If you haven’t watched the video, I did not weigh out the cabbage rolls or stuffed peppers but will break down the macros and nutrition below so you know the calories per serving.
For this recipe, I was able to get about 6 -7 prepped meals. One day I had 1/2 serving of cabbage rolls left so ate that with peppers to make it a full meal.
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Serving size – roughly 2 Cabbage Rolls
What you will need for this recipe!
Groceries and ingredients
- 1 lb. Turkey Sausage
- 1 lb. 96% Lean 4% Fat Ground Beef
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Head of Cabbage
- 1 ½ Cups Cooked White Rice
- 1 Large White Onion
- 28 oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 15 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 0.35 oz. (10g) Chopped Parsley
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (part-skim/less fat)
- Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add your ground beef, ground turkey, rice, about ½ can of tomato sauce, onion, egg, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. And then mix all of the ingredients together.
- Now it’s time to assemble the cabbage rolls, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Immerse the cabbage head in the boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until cabbage leaves are pliable. Peel 11-12 large leaves off the cabbage. (you may need to peel a few leaves off and then add cabbage back to boiling water for a few additional minutes. The outer leaves will cook faster than the inner leaves/layers)
- Lay each cabbage leaf on a flat surface. (I would recommend, using a small knife to cut a V-shaped notch to remove the thick part of the cabbage rib before adding mixture and trying to roll it up. This will make the folding/rolling much simpler)
- Add about 1/3 of a cup of the meat mixture in the center of a cabbage leaf. Roll the cabbage leaf around the meat mixture. Repeat with remaining meat and cabbage leaves. (I used an ice cream scooper and measurement, but you can use whatever you want, but would shape it into more of a log shape, and not a big circle/ball like I did. This will make the rolling process go much faster and smoother)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9″x13″ pan with cooking spray. Add about 1/2 of the crushed tomatoes to the bottom of the baking dish. Place the cabbage rolls seam side down in the dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil. Bake for about 60-90 minutes or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked through.
- Top with a few handfuls of Mozzarella cheese, bake for an additional 5 minutes or until all the cheese is melted. And enjoy!
More about the Recipe
Credit to Sara from Dinner at the Zoo (link to recipe)! It was her original Cabbage Roll recipe I tried that inspired me to create this recipe.
I love getting creative with recipes I find online or in cookbooks! Something sounds good and I end up looking through tons of recipes online till I find the one that just sticks out to me. If it’s a new recipe, I have only made a few times I like to use the original as a basic guide or outline. Then I will look for ways to put my own touch into the meal/recipe and get creative where/when I can, or make it better suit my personal taste preferences. But that is pretty much all for this recipe, sounded good so I made it 🙂
Before you go, don’t forget to… Like, Comment, Follow!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media @waterjugfitness and check out the YouTube channel (subscribe if you aren’t already) to stay up to date on what’s to come and get notified when new content is posted!
You must be logged in to post a comment.